Migration information for OCLC WorldShare Metadata
OCLC Bibliographic Record Notification (BibNote)
OCLC Bibliographic Record Notification service (BibNote) functionality is now incorporated with a new service, OCLC WorldShare Metadata Collection Manager. The new service offers you all of the options for updated MARC records that you have with the existing service, but also offers a number of enhancements developed based on your feedback.
For example, Collection Manager offers additional profiling options that allow you to receive updated records:
- Based on any change to a variable field in the WorldCat master record.
- When the record has been upgraded to RDA cataloging rules ("rda" is denoted in the 040 $e).
You will automatically get updated records when an OCLC control number changes (as a result of a record being merged).
To start your migration, simply follow the steps below to activate the new service and explore your enhanced options for selecting the upgraded records. There is no need to return to your existing BibNote service unless you desire to do so. You may use the two systems simultaneously until we disable the older service. You have until November 1, 2013 to complete your migration. We will disable BibNote accounts after this date.
Please note: If your library is using WorldCat Cataloging Partners with the delayed WorldCat holdings option or if your library is part of a group who is using BibNote, please wait for further instructions before you migrate. Your library can migrate in August/September 2013 when your current options are available in the new service.
Moving Beyond Bibliographic Record Notification
Recorded on June 11, 2013
Establish your accounts
- Complete the registration form.
Note: If your library already has access to Metadata in the WorldShare interface, you may begin your steps to migrate; there is no need to fill out the request form. If you need an additional staff account, please contact OCLC Order Services.
- After you receive your account information from OCLC Order Services, go to your library’s URL and set your password.
Logging in for the First Time: Set a Password (PDF: 338 KB / 1 page).
Steps to migrate
- Enable MARC record delivery and customize your settings to get updated records based on changes to the WorldCat master records for your holdings in WorldCat.
Follow this guide to Configure update records for your WorldCat Holdings Collections (PDF: 576 KB / 6 pages).
- Retrieve your library’s MARC records via FTP, access OCLC usage statistic reports, and set up automatic email of reports.
Follow the MARC Record Delivery: Retrieve your Files of Records guide (PDF: 382 KB / 7 pages) to retrieve your MARC records.
- After you have completed steps 1 and 2, your migration is complete. There is no need to return to the OCLC Bibliographic Record Notification service. OCLC will disable your BibNote account in November 2013.
Explore your expanded options for getting MARC records with Collection Manager
Now that the functionality to get update records for your WorldCat Holdings Collections is integrated with Collection Manager, you have extended options for getting MARC records. See the Collection Manager product pages and support pages for more information.
The account information you received from OCLC Order Services gives you access to the all of the accounts you’ll need to use OCLC WorldShare Metadata Collection Manager and the WorldCat knowledge base. For documentation and training on adding collections to your knowledge base, see the WorldCat knowledge base support area.