Multiple vendors—one view
OCLC and Cornell University Library staff have worked together to develop this service which is based on software known as the Integrated Tool for Selection and Ordering at Cornell University Library (ITSO CUL).
WorldCat Selection allows selectors of new materials at your library to view notification records from multiple materials vendors in one central comprehensive system.
With WorldCat Selection, it’s easier for you to get WorldCat records for newly selected materials into your integrated library system early in the technical services process.
Reduce your library’s costs
ITSO CUL, which accounted for 40% of Cornell’s firm orders, enabled Cornell’s acquisitions operation to increase productivity and reduce costs associated with selection and ordering. “We have now migrated from ITSO CUL to WorldCat Selection and continue to see these great savings in staff costs (approximately $100,000 per year), but more importantly, with immediate access to the broad array of member copy from WorldCat at the point of order, our users reap the benefits of shorter turnaround from order to shelf.” said Scott Wicks, Interim Assistant University Librarian, Cornell University Library.
WorldCat Selection reduces your library’s costs by automating the acquisition workflow—specifically the selection process. You still control the selection process, but you eliminate the need to send items via paper slips or to select items in multiple vendor systems. Additionally, MARC records are exported from WorldCat and loaded into your integrated library system, eliminating the need to search and rekey data one record at a time or import data from multiple sources.
Your library’s relationship with your materials vendors won’t change. You’ll still work with them to create profiles of new materials to be selected for library notification.
We are working continually to add more vendors to the service. For a current list, please see Selection partners.
How it works
- First, you profile with your materials vendors to determine the notification items you want to receive
- Materials vendors inform OCLC of notification items for your library based on the frequency you determine
- OCLC loads the items for your library into WorldCat Selection
- Selectors log into WorldCat Selection to view notification items for their collection areas, viewing records from multiple vendors in one system
- Selectors take actions such as select, reject, forward to another selector, or defer
- Acquisitions staff export all selected records from all selectors and all vendors, load them into your ILS and complete the order electronically from the ILS
- Maintain your holdings in WorldCat during the cataloging process using Connexion, WorldCat Cataloging Partners, Batch Process, and more