As Chair of the Asia Pacific Regional Council (APRC) Executive Committee, I invite you to nominate individuals to run for an open position on the Asia Pacific Executive Committee. These representatives are responsible for communicating ways that, as a cooperative, we can better share resources, collaborate and enhance our global network that provides access to the world's information.
The OCLC Asia Pacific Regional Council represents member libraries from the territory west of Hawaii, ranging from China, Korea and Japan in the north to Australia and New Zealand in the south, and Pakistan to the west.
I encourage you to participate in this important process and to take full advantage of this benefit of your membership in the OCLC cooperative.
--Peter Sidorko, Chair, Asia Pacific Regional Council Executive Committee
Peter Sidorko, Chair, Asia Pacific Regional Council Executive Committee; University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Asia Pacific Regional Council Executive Committee Positions
OCLC members throughout Asia and the Pacific are invited to nominate individuals to run for the APRC Executive Committee.
- There are three open seats on the Executive Committee.
- You may nominate another individual or nominate yourself. Nominees must hold a leadership position at an OCLC member institution.
- The terms for these positions will be three years, beginning July 2014 and ending June 2017.
- The Asia Pacific Regional Council bylaws state that no two members of the Executive Committee may come from member institutions from the same country or region. Because the following individuals will complete their terms in 2015 or 2016, individuals from Australia, China, Hong Kong, Japan and Thailand are not eligible to run in this election:
Craig Anderson, University Librarian, RMIT University, Australia (Member-at-Large); Srichan Chancheewa, Associate Director of Learning Promotion, Thammasat University Libraries, Thailand (Vice Chair 2013–2014; Chair 2014–2015); Jinkang Deng, Tsinghua University Library, China (Member-at-Large); Makoto Nakamoto, Administrative Director, Waseda University, Japan; Peter Sidorko, University Librarian, University of Hong Kong (Chair 2013–2014).
You will need your OCLC symbol to submit your nomination, as well as the OCLC symbol of the individual you are nominating.
All voting will be conducted online. Please confirm we have the correct e-mail address for your institution's voting representative. You (or your library’s director) will need your OCLC symbol to confirm or update your organization’s voting contact information.
Find out how you can get involved! In addition to elected positions, there are Annual Membership Conferences and other opportunities to participate in council activities.
Global Council currently meets in person twice per year. OCLC streams the general sessions of these meetings for all members.
More Asia Pacific Regional Council Election Details
The Asia Pacific Regional Council Executive Committee will review the nominations they receive. The Executive Committee will determine the slate of candidates based on the submissions. Once the Executive Committee approves the slate, they will announce the candidates who will appear on the ballot by sending a Member Update e-mail and posting the slate of candidates on the OCLC website. This announcement is scheduled for mid-January 2014. Voting will take place from early February through March 2014, and election results will be announced during the OCLC Global Council Annual Meeting, scheduled for 10–13 April 2014.
After the election, the five existing Executive Committee members listed above (whose terms end in 2015 or 2016) and the three newly elected members will determine who will hold the various offices. From this group of eight, six individuals will also represent Asia Pacific on OCLC's Global Council. The Chair, Vice Chair/Chair-Elect and Secretary, plus three additional Executive Committee members will also become Global Council delegates. Srichan Chancheewa, Thammasat University Libraries, is currently the Vice Chair/Chair-Elect, and will become Chair of the Asia Pacific Regional Council Executive Committee in July 2014, for a term of one year.
Each member organization in the Asia Pacific Region has one vote per qualifying member institution. If you (or your organization’s director) have not already done so, please update the contact information of the person who will vote on behalf of your library using the link provided above.
Have a question? Please contact the Asia Pacific Regional Council by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
2013–2014 Asia Pacific Regional Council Executive Committee
- Peter Sidorko, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong (Chair)
- Srichan Chancheewa, Thammasat University Libraries, Thailand (Vice Chair/Chair-Elect)
- Alison Elliott, National Library of New Zealand, New Zealand (Secretary)
- Hsueh-hua Chen, National Taiwan University, Taiwan
- Craig Anderson, RMIT University, Australia
- Jinkang Deng, Tsinghua University Library, China
- Makoto Nakamoto, Waseda University, Japan