Make your electronic content easier
to find, share, manage and use.
Streamline electronic resource workflows
The WorldCat knowledge base combines data about your library's electronic resources with linking features to make your collections easier to find, share, manage and use. The WorldCat knowledge base also helps you streamline electronic resource workflows.
Unlike data in a traditional knowledge base, WorldCat knowledge base data is not tied to a particular application. When you register your collections in the WorldCat knowledge base, you enable key functionality, including:
- Automatic management of WorldCat holdings and delivery of MARC records for electronic materials;
- Easy access to e-resources in search results, OpenURL link resolution and A–Z searching and browsing of databases and journal titles;
- Quick and easy sharing of your electronic content;
- Management of budgeting, ordering and acquisition of electronic resources; and
- Rights management, usage statistics and link resolution of electronic materials.
Plus, create your own unique solution by leveraging the WorldCat knowledge base API.
Improve data quality through cooperative management
As a cooperative with a long-standing tradition of relying on the expert community for cataloging, OCLC has enabled cooperative management of the WorldCat knowledge base to help create efficiencies while improving data quality for everyone in the community. WorldCat knowledge base cooperative data management gives users the ability to:
Examine the collections in the WorldCat knowledge base
The WorldCat knowledge base grows continuously and includes content from OCLC and libraries and publishers from around the world, including e-books, e-journals and open-access content.
As of March 2016, the WorldCat knowledge base provides access to 14,570 content collections from 5,970 providers.
View a list of collections [Excel spreadsheet] included in the WorldCat knowledge base. This spreadsheet represents all of the collections available in the WorldCat knowledge base and indicates:
- which collections are open access,
- which collections are customizable, and
- the percentage of items in each collection that contain an OCLC number, which allows you to set your holdings in WorldCat and/or output MARC records.
If you would like to request the addition of specific collections to the WorldCat knowledge base, please send your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up for news and updates on cataloging and metadata.
Would you like to subscribe to other OCLC e-mails or provide more information on your profile? Providing more information now will make sure you receive the OCLC news that matters most to you.
A message has been sent to your e-mail address. Please follow the link in that e-mail to the page where you can edit your preferences. This is done to ensure that only you can edit your e-mail preferences.