Deutsch

CONTENTdm Featured Collections: January 2016

Organizations worldwide are using CONTENTdm digital collection management software to create thousands of outstanding digital collections and to provide easy access to their unique holdings.

This month, four collections are featured on the OCLC website. The featured collections for January are the Images of the Great Salem Fire, June 25, 1914, the University Archives Historic Photographs at the University of Massachusetts Boston, the Claude and ZerNona Black Papers, and the Clearwater Historical Society Photograph Collection.

Images of The Great Salem Fire, June 25, 1914

Images of the Great Salem Fire, June 25, 1914

Peabody Essex Museum

This collection, created to honor the centennial of The Great Salem Fire of 1914, displays 150 images that depict the burned district in Salem before the fire; the conflagration and how it spread; fire-fighting efforts and images of the Salem Fire Department and its equipment; the ruins and destruction caused by the fire; the plight of the homeless and relief efforts to assist them; and the reconstruction and redevelopment of the city. Improvements in technology provided opportunities to extract details from images that were not readily seen at the time the images were created; the collection includes several of these detailed images. 

Photograph: Phillips Library of the Peabody Essex Museum, Salem MA.

Requests for permission to publish this image or any others from the Salem Fire Collection must be submitted in writing to the Reference Librarian in the Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, Massachusetts.

University Archives Historic Photographs

University Archives Historic Photographs

University of Massachusetts Boston

The Massachusetts legislature established the University of Massachusetts Boston in 1964. The second university in the UMass system, UMass Boston opened its doors in 1965 at a renovated building in Park Square in downtown Boston. The university moved to its present campus on Columbia Point in Dorchester in 1974.

Photographs in this collection help to document the history of the University of Massachusetts Boston. Included in this growing collection are photographs from the Boston Normal School, one of the antecedent institutions to UMass Boston. The Boston Normal School was designed to train women teachers for the Boston Public Schools and became a separate entity when it moved from Girls’ High to the top floors of the Rice School in 1876.

Photograph courtesy of the University Archives & Special Collections Department, Joseph P. Healey Library, University of Massachusetts Boston: University Archives Historic Photographs

Claude and ZerNona Black Papers

Claude and ZerNona Black Papers    

Trinity University

The Claude and ZerNona Black Papers were acquired by the Coates Library in October 2011. The collection documents the civil rights, civic activism and Baptist ministry of Reverend Claude William Black, Jr. and his wife, ZerNona Stewart Black, in San Antonio, Texas. The documents span the years from the early 1900s through 2009, and include handwritten and typed manuscripts and recordings related to sermons, memorial services, and explorations of religious doctrine and community service;  daily agendas, scrapbooks, photographs, event brochures and political ephemera; newspaper clippings about city council and participation in city events; and correspondence with local and national figures of social and political importance, including Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., A. Philip Randolph and U.S. President Lyndon Baines Johnson.

Clearwater Public Library System Online Archive – Clearwater Historical Society Photograph Collection

Clearwater Public Library System Online Archive – Clearwater Historical Society Photograph Collection

Pinellas Public Library System – Pinellas Memory

A portion of the Clearwater Historical Society's extensive photograph archive has been scanned, cataloged and made available on Pinellas Memory. For more information about this collection, please direct inquiries to the Clearwater Historical Society.