The edition statement proper and any other information up to the imprint. Use only if the edition statement is self-defining, that is, uses words such as edition, issue, and version. Numbers also may appear with an edition statement.
|1st ed., new corr. printing. |
|3rd impression (with minor revisions) |
Treat items that use the word revised alone, with modifications, or as a modifier, as editions.
An edition statement may include a personal name:
|2nd ed. / revised by M.C.F. Proctor. |
However, a phrase that includes only the word revised and a personal name is not itself an edition statement. The following phrases are statements of responsibility (use field 245 subfield ‡c), not edition statements: revised and edited by Edwin Essex or Rev. by Erica Sabarth and Henry N. Williams.
An edition statement may include information about new material.
|2nd ed. / edited with an introduction and notes by H.A. Rose, new impression. |
A phrase that includes only information about new material is not itself an edition statement. The following statements are statements of responsibility (use field 245, subfield ‡c), not edition statements: with a new introduction by Rupert C. Jarvis or With a new introductory essay by William W. Brickman, Francesco Cordasco [and] Thomas H. Richardson.
Use field 250 for the edition designation if different editions have identical titles. Use separate records for different editions as long as the editions can be identified.
The following categories of different editions may have identical titles. Use separate records for such editions:
- Geographic editions (e.g., West Coast edition)
- Special group or special interest editions (e.g., Dry cleaners' edition or Ed. pour le medicin)
- Special format or physical presentation statements (e.g., Airmail ed., Braille ed., Library ed. or Microform ed.)
- Different language editions if the original title exists on the title page along with an edition statement
- Reprint or reissue statements that indicate a reissue or revision of the serial as a whole
- General editions (e.g., editions that contain complete contents, whereas their special editions have only portions of the contents)
Note that some edition statements in foreign language items reflect printing information, not editions. See " 250 Edition Statement ‡a Edition statement" in chapter 4: When to Input a New Record.
| SCO || |
Use for a statement designating the voice range for the score (as distinguished from a statement of the medium of performance) that is not grammatically linked to the title, or for other title information considered an edition statement, whether or not it includes the word edition or its equivalent.
|High key in f. |
|Ausg. für hohe Stimme. |
| COM || |
Use for computer files that have statements referring to the file itself, not just to the documentation. Evidence of a new edition of a file may be:
- The appearance of an explicit edition statement relating to the file
- Significant additions or deletions to the contents of a monographic file
- Significant changes in the structure of content of the field (e.g., a change in program language)
Do not make new edition statements for the following:
- Additions or deletions to a serial or dynamic database
- Changes in the arrangement of a file's contents
- Changes in the physical format of input, output, or storage
- Changes of a minor nature
Describe such changes in local notes.
| ‡b Remainder of edition statement ||A parallel edition statement or a statement of responsibility, or a personal or corporate responsibility statement that applies only to a particular edition. |
|250 || || ||Rev. ed. / ‡b program has been converted from BASIC to FORTRAN IV by Allen P. Smith. |
|250 || || ||2nd ed., rev. and enl. / ‡ b by W.H. Chalmer. |
|250 || || ||New rev. and enl. ed. / ‡ b with appendix: the coins and bank notes of the British Mandatory Government of Palestine. |
|250 || || ||4th ed. / ‡b revised by H.G. LeMesurier and E. McIntosh, repr. with corrections. |
|250 || || ||2nd ed. / ‡b revised by Ann Jones ; foreword by James Jones. |
|250 || || ||Canadian ed. = ‡ b Ed. canadienne. |
|250 || || ||Neue, kritisch durchgesehene Ausg. / ‡ b von L. Benda, Ausg. für hohe Stimme. |
|250 || || ||3rd draft / ‡b edited by Paul Watson. |