General guidelines for Local Holdings Record updating projects
- Each holdings record, regardless of format, must contain the OCLC control number of its corresponding bibliographic record.
- You must supply all holdings records associated with a bibliographic record even if there is a change to only one of the holdings records. Each holdings record sent for a specific bibliographic record must represent the holdings data for only one copy.
- Your holdings information can be formatted as either:
- Compliant with the MARC 21 Format for Holdings Data (MFHD)
- Patterned non-MARC holdings data with field descriptions and their content associated in a simple, consistent, discernible and predictable way across the entire file. Non-MARC holdings data is unusable if the pattern varies. (See the specifications.)
- Some fields are required, while the inclusion of others is based on content. See the specifications or the documentation for field definitions.